lichess.org
Donate

Candidates Chess Tournament 2024

I am extremely excited for this year’s Candidates Tournament. There are some exciting aspects in this edition, including a diverse mix of young and highly experienced players. Additionally, it marks the inaugural occurrence of the Women’s Candidates Tournament alongside the men’s section. I anticipate that this tournament will be filled with captivating games and enjoyment.
Yesterday was an interesting day. All four games in the men’s section were decisive, and two out of the four games were decisive in the women’s section. The round was full of exciting games. Vidit Gujrathi defeated Nakamura (world rank 3) yesterday.
Nepo is turning into some kind of Candidates Genius
I have to wonder if Ding will even be up to the challenge when the time comes.
With the young group and a few other young players coming up it will be a blood bath in 4 years. I want to see who is brave. Who goes for the win not 4 draws in a row.
Brilliant recovery by Naka yesterday, and Fabi was very lucky to save the draw.

Alireza ́s not living up to expectations again in his second Candidates. I can ́t help thinking that things would have been even more interesting if he hadn ́t snatched Wesley So ́s place from him at the last minute through that joke tournament in Rouen; Wesley would surely have been placed better after 5 rounds than equal last.
@Wasted_Youth said in #9:
> Brilliant recovery by Naka yesterday, and Fabi was very lucky to save the draw.
>
> Alireza ́s not living up to expectations again in his second Candidates. I can ́t help thinking that things would have been even more interesting if he hadn ́t snatched Wesley So ́s place from him at the last minute through that joke tournament in Rouen; Wesley would surely have been placed better after 5 rounds than equal last.

more interesting? no, certainly not.

higher quality? very likely, yes.

Wesley is a better (more consistent?) player than Alireza right now but Alireza's certainly more entertaining. Even in blundering.