lichess.org
Donate

Candidates Chess Tournament 2024

Is anybody here at the playing site in Toronto? If so, is there anything to report that has not been mentioned on other sites?

I am particularly interested in the personal interaction when they are not playing.
Today is a very critical round, especially for the players in the upper half of the standings. A bad result in a round can cost the whole tournament.
@dsmichel said in #11:
> Is anybody here at the playing site in Toronto? If so, is there anything to report that has not been mentioned on other sites?
>
> I am particularly interested in the personal interaction when they are not playing.

Yeah, I ́m in Toronto. I witnessed a fist fight between Nepo and Fabi at McDonalds on the rest day yesterday (they drew), and I met three of the candidates at a sex club after round 6. It ́s all pretty relaxed really.
@Wasted_Youth said in #13:
> Yeah, I ́m in Toronto. I witnessed a fist fight between Nepo and Fabi at McDonalds on the rest day yesterday (they drew), and I met three of the candidates at a sex club after round 6. It ́s all pretty relaxed really.

Interesting, I'd have thought Naka would have been one of the scrappers, giving his previous 'thug life' incident.
@QathetMike said in #14:
> Interesting, I'd have thought Naka would have been one of the scrappers, giving his previous 'thug life' incident.

Nah, he was in his hotel room doing prep on the bongcloud with a bottle of Jim Beam.
The last round is going to be very interesting, with 4 players having a chance to win. It may be one of the most interesting final round of the Candidates ever.
Gukesh wins Candidates! What an exciting day it was. With this win, Gukesh also becomes the youngest player to qualify for a World Championship Match. He is just 17 years old!
6 hour game between Ian and Fabi, settled on a draw, leaving Gukesh in sole first place

Great chess
Hi @ThunderClap

I think it will be an interesting match as we will witness a very young player against a very experienced player. I also think that it will have relatively more decisive games than many other world championship matches where there are mostly draws only, and a very few decisive games.