lichess.org
Donate

The ideal new year resolution for 2024.

> Rating targets?
> Skill targets?
> Finishing any book or course targets?

What should be one's ideal new year resolution for 2024?

> Should it be a rating target or focusing on improving skills?
> Any chess habits to improve at chess even better?

All answers accepted.
@Cedur216 said in #2:
> No resolutions. Resolutions mean failures.

Lets resolutions be, lets talk about making targets instead of resolutions for the same:

I repeat my question
>Rating targets?
>Skill targets?
>Finishing any book or course targets?

What should be one's ideal targets for becoming a better chess player?
>Should it be a rating target or focusing on improving skills?
>Any chess habits to improve at chess even better?

All answers accepted.
"All in"Targets to raise your Rating & Skills . It MUST be noted about 80 - 100 games a tear for Over The Board Tournaments & Matches will give you a chance to raise your Skill & Rating & Studying Chess as well as playing here on Lichess Studying Chess Vids & Chess books as well ... So it's NOT really a "choice" More of do EVERYTHING @cornfortable
@ThunderClap It must be quite difficult to play 80-100 FIDE rated classical games per year. It is like 10-12 tournaments per year. But is it more doable for people living in Europe or India? India seems to be producing lot of players (not just GMs), but I wonder if many of them are managing 80-100 games per year, and if so how. I believe that many games is difficult for even professional players in South America. But I may be mistaken.
@ThunderClap said in #4:
> "All in"Targets to raise your Rating & Skills . It MUST be noted about 80 - 100 games a tear for Over The Board Tournaments & Matches will give you a chance to raise your Skill & Rating & Studying Chess as well as playing here on Lichess Studying Chess Vids & Chess books as well ... So it's NOT really a "choice" More of do EVERYTHING @cornfortable

True

@kajalmaya said in #5:
> @ThunderClap It must be quite difficult to play 80-100 FIDE rated classical games per year. It is like 10-12 tournaments per year. But is it more doable for people living in Europe or India? India seems to be producing lot of players (not just GMs), but I wonder if many of them are managing 80-100 games per year, and if so how. I believe that many games is difficult for even professional players in South America. But I may be mistaken.

It is easily possible to play 150 otb games here in india. Practice isn't really an issue
I lose most games by tactics in low time situations and odd tactical moves by my Opponents. for this year I plan to study 10-20 tactics problems each week in 2 different sessions and everything is reviewed. Ibstudy OTB if I can't see the solution. Other books I like to study if I have extra mental capacity is to read a book on the Kings Gambit. Ironically there are 52 games annotated. I did not set a rating goal as it is not concrete measure of growth imo. I also plan to read the second half of Silmana's endgame course on the same situation as the KG listed above.
@cornfortable said in #1:
> What should be one's ideal new year resolution for 2024?
>
>
> All answers accepted.

I'm 1100 OTB so take this as a grain of salt.
I think Rating goals are too General and it's probably not a good idea unless you are a Beginner or a Post-Beginner. (Like me)
Skill Targets are great, like Learning that Endgame you've been avoiding like the Plague.
@cornfortable said in #6:
> It is easily possible to play 150 otb games here in india. Practice isn't really an issue
depends on where you live. India isn't a small country, and chess isn't very popular in all parts of the country. if you cant travel a lot and live in north India, consider yourself lucky if you can get 30 OTB classical games.
@kajalmaya said in #5:
> @ThunderClap It must be quite difficult to play 80-100 FIDE rated classical games per year. It is like 10-12 tournaments per year. But is it more doable for people living in Europe or India? India seems to be producing lot of players (not just GMs), but I wonder if many of them are managing 80-100 games per year, and if so how. I believe that many games is difficult for even professional players in South America. But I may be mistaken.

no way.
I live in india and yes, it is possible to play 80-100 otb games in one year but it is not optimal.
You wont get that much time to practice while travelling a playing a lot and it will be very stressful to play so many tournaments. It also wont be economical as india is so large that you'll have to take a flight to nearly every tournament and that would cost you a lot. And that's not even mentioning the tournament fees. Overall, I think it will be a net negative for you. I am personally a very active player and even i can opnly manage around 50-60 games in a good year

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.