lichess.org
Donate

Hello. Does the famous 10.000 hours rule apply in chess?

@CafeMorphy

Expert/master, where do you draw the line? I think everyone who holds a FIDE title is considered an expert.
Expert is around 2000 rating, here I got this off wiki although I think it's for USCF (a little overrated);

Grandmaster 2600 and up
Senior master 2400–2599
Master 2200–2399
Expert 2000–2199
Class A 1800–1999
Class B 1600–1799
Class C under 1600
@NoLuckOnlySkill I completely agree... but freeing your mind might take more than 10,000 hrs of practice! :)

btw currently reading Don Miguel Ruiz 4 agreements... good stuff.
My journey to become a reliable greenhorn chess player took about 4 years (8000 hours), something similar to getting my journeyman. I don't play outstanding like a master, because I have not learned to solve tactical combinations like a master. That alone takes hours of work and for some, guidance is required by a master (coach) to problem solve particular positions. Chess is about exploiting weaknesses. The players that do not know how to search for weaknesses, let alone know how to exploit them, cannot expect to become experts. Without using techniques, we cannot expect to reach the master level. Learning to exploit a position is probably the most direct route to mastery. A journeyman to become a master tradesman probable takes another 8000 hours. So, if chess is anything similar, I should be exposed to 16,000 hours of chess, before expecting to be a master of the game.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.