lichess.org
Donate

Chess 960+. Enjoy all chess variants anew. 100% fun guaranteed.

The most enjoyable feature would be a mix of chess variants with random pieces position.

1. 3-check 960 variant.
2. KOtH 960 variant.
3. Antichess 960 variant.
4. Atomic 960 variant.
5. Horde 960 variant.

It will change gameplay a lot. No way you will fall in the openning traps so easily.
If you are a lazy player who do not like to study a lot of theory, you'll get equal chances with those well-read erudite demons, who sit all the day studying oppennings, just to catch someone in the forced line (antichess, atomic).

It is also great for those who a little bored with his favorite chess variant, so they could have some new experience with it.
Like me - Cheater-Champ - a Champion of horde chess, but I feel that now, after I played 500 games of it, a variant seemed to be a little exhausted. I find all the best strategies, and now just repeat them again and again. Having it 960 will open big new area for creativity.
These threads pop up every now and again. As if this is some genius and revolutionary idea. Hey I like checkers and I like chinese checkers, lets combine them together!

"No way you will fall in the openning traps so easily." Really? I imagine that there would be a greater risk of traps.

"If you are a lazy player who do not like to study a lot of theory..." There is already a substantial lack of theory in those variants.

Why don't you just play 960? Or the half dozen other variants? The site is always adding new variants; there's no reason to create new variants that don't exist by combining real variants together. Please this is absurd.

#1 "It is also great for those who a little bored with his favorite chess variant, so they could have some new experience with it."

I agree, these "variant variants" could be enjoyable for people who wish to play them.

#2 "There is already a substantial lack of theory in those variants."

In atomic and in antichess? Is that really so?
http://web.archive.org/web/20120218084214/http://www.nicklong.net/chess/atomic/openings.htm
http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~chess/atomic/
http://catalin.francu.com/nilatac/book.php
True, but what of Horde, KotH, and 3-check?

Anyway I agree that these would be fun as well. Maybe they can be implemented for casual games only, as a sort of test run to determine whether they deserve to be added to the numerous rated game variants?
#2 Dionysus_god
Very big passion in your comment, but very small arguments.

Same threads pop up every now and again?
No surprise, people want it so much. Because it will indeed be revolutionary in gameplay. A breath of fresh air is always great.

You imagine that there would be a greater risk of traps?
Believe me, it is not true. The nature of traps is in their preparation. How could you prepare traps for all 960 starting positions?

There is already a substantial lack of theory in those variants?
It is 100% wrong for atomic and antichess. In fact, without knowing openning theory you will suck in atomic or antichess, but could be successful if starting position will be random.

You played so many 960 regular chess, Dionysus, 2 080 games. It is absurd that now you are against 960+ variants chess. What's wrong with 960+ variants? It is the same principle - randomize starting position to avoid heavy oppening theory.

The site is always adding new variants. I am happy with that. And I can imagine how hard it is to implement a new chess variant.
Iplementation of 960+ will double x2 the number of currently existing variants. No doubt, it will be relatively easier task for lichess developers, with high reward in gameplay variety.
"There is already a substantial lack of theory in those variants?
It is 100% wrong for atomic and antichess."

Only 2/6 variants have established opening theory. The majority of variants still lack theory.

You speak of the nature of traps. If you define a trap as an established line, then you are right to say that random positions will eliminate them. In the case of randomized variant positions, I'm using the word to demonstrate a forced win scenario.

This topic has been discussed many times on the forum. You should have a look at the other threads if you want a more comprehensive understanding of why this is a silly idea.

I will admit, you are probably the strongest rated player that has proposed this bastardization of variants. By all means, the more the merrier. Forget the purity and respectability of established games, let's just mix them up as if they were real games (and make sure to make them rated as well).

To have Fischer Random 3-check, Fischer Random Atomic, Fischer Random King of the Hill, Fischer Random Horder, Fischer Random Fischer Random, and all the rest as extra variants that are rated will further dilute any credibility left in the rating system.
Or at least adding these Frankenstein monsters of false variants will serve to dilute credibility in our rating system. For me to imply that the ratings here are already not credible is probably being a bit disingenuous.
"Very big passion in your comment, but very small arguments."

^ brilliant
Dionysus_god, you definitely do not know much about chess variants theory.
OK, I will explain it to you a bit. So listen. There are forced wins probably in all 5 variants now (960 variant we are not touching). But it is extremely hard to prove.
Koth and 3-check - probably forced win for white. According to 3-check chess champion, Orange Space Drink, 1.e4 is a winning move in 3-check chess. Look to this thread for further details
http://en.lichess.org/forum/general-chess-discussion/3check-chess-and-my-future-with-it?page=3
Then we have antichess - almost solved 1. e3 is known to win. Look for the site link provided by Toadofsky in #3.
Atomic chess - white has very big advantage and for sure it is forced win for white. I think there are more than 1 move to force win in atomic, e3 or Nf3 are true candidates.
Horde chess is the most unknown and mysterious, and it is too early to judge who is better. But definitely one side have a forced win in horde chess, I believe it is black side.

Randomizing piece positions at start will give a new fresh game-play, with new unknown tactics to be discovered every time. It will be a great addition to classic variants game-play, with usual position.

Dionysus_god, you are trying to argue, but yet did not tell me at least 1 reason, why there shouldn't be 960+ on lichess?
Will they be interesting to play? Of course. Are they hard to implement? Don't think so.
So, why not? And what's the reason to make it unrated only?

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.