lichess.org
Donate

When do you accept takeback requests?

Yeah, increments are fantastic. My problem is I usually just accept whatever seeks are already up, increments or not. I should try to only play increment games because playing without them is awful. Actually, I think time controls should be mostly incremental. In my opinion it's simply far more logical for the clock to be determined by number of moves played. 10 minutes to play a 15 move game is a fairly slow pace for blitz. 10 minutes to play 90 moves is incredibly quick. You can't predict how long games will last so, in the absence of increments, you are forced to reserve a large portion of your time just in case your opponent decides to check you over and over or shuffle pieces around in a drawn position.
I used to play stuff like 2|6 a lot. Most people don't like increments as much as I do though so often it means I have to wait longer if I want to play a time control like that. I don't like waiting.
Increments are for people who can't stand time pressure, aka noobs.
And me, friendly dragon! I accept takebacks most of the time, rarely ask for them.
As for me, i allways accept them and never send them mydelf :P Just wanna teach myself not to make blunders
@Aesthetics: The same to me. It's a good thing to keep on playing after a blunder and try to maintain at least your defence. It's even a strategy. I have won a few games as black after losing castling ability because of forced queen exchange after the opening. For white it might be an advantage but mistakes are around the corner.
When I play blitz/lightning game I never accept take back, because every second could be crucial for the game.
When I play game with more time I aways accept take back when they are obvious mouse slip and never accept take back caused of blunder of the opponent. When you have enough time for the game it's a good idea to think about your next moves :)
I was taught to sit on my hands when playing chess, lest I move too hastily.
Asking for a takeback is a sign that: 1) the player moved carelessly; 2) the player takes the game/ratings way too seriously; 3) the player takes himself way too seriously; 4) the player feels they should get a pass when they err (this attitude seems to be endemic among politicians and celebrities).

I never ask for a takeback (even when "it's the computer's fault" the piece was "misplaced"), and I never grant takebacks for the above reasons. I wish I could alert prospective opponents that when playing me, no quarter will be sought or granted.

IMHO, the takeback button should be an account preference.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.