lichess.org
Donate

Why was the game declared Remis?

Hello!

I just played this game: lichess.org/D7zMcQglm9wz

I played as black and was short on time, therefore did not have time to think how to properly checkmate, but moved around giving check to increase my clock (game was 5+3).

But after some moves the game was declared Remis.

Why is this the case? Is there a manual where the rules when a game is automatically declared Remis by lichess are stated?

Thanks, BackyardChess.
<Comment deleted by user>
It's a threefold repetition. A game can be claimed as a draw if the same position occurs three times, which happened here on moves 39, 41 and 43.
You or your opponent probably has auto-claim activated in your settings: lichess.org/account/preferences/game-behavior
Thanks, now I understand. I now deactivated auto-claim and will see what happens :).
@BackyardChess
Deactivating autoclaim for yourself does not affect the settings of your opponent
they will still be able to autoclaim
you are better off not turning it off
@jesgluckner Ok, I thought have auto-claim off and my opponent does not, I could decline Remis after a case of threefold repetition, or is that against the chess rules?
it's not against the rules of chess
but you can turn it off if you really want to
i just think it's better to avoid threefold repetition than to avoid auto claim in generall
because you know, you could be on the worse side aswell and then flag before you can claim the draw
In the case of threefold repetition either player can claim a draw... it doesn't need to be agreed upon.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.