lichess.org
Donate

Ban for players leaving game

Is there any banning when person is leaving game, which is still on? It's pretty annoying especially when I'm playing anonymously, because there are a lot of people who are just trolling and they abandon every game. Can they be banned based on their IP adresses, if they do that? I think that 30 min ban should be enough to reduce that behavior.
Sit back, relax, have a nice tea and enjoy your winning position
@Tactico

This can be annoying, and I get where you are coming from. It can be poor sportsmanship at times, but I don't think it should be a ban-able offense.

When it comes down to it, you can have all the space, all the development, central control, material, all the winning moves, and every aspect of the game completely in the palm of your hand crushing it... Except for your opponents clock. They own that. You do not have any control over their clock no matter what.

I don't think that there should be some sort of global ban so the person can't play chess anymore for any amount of time. However I totally see where you are coming from, and there should be an option to click some sort of button on a players profile so that you can blacklist individuals from playing against you for any reason. Be it a smart mouth in chat, your instance of time wasting, they have a cheater tag, or any other arbitrary reason.
I completely agree. Some people are just incredibly rude and without some consequences this community can't function. Some guy quit a game in progress against me. I pointed how rude that is in a polite message. His answer? "stfu". Now he's blocked, of course. Hopefully if we all block these kind of players they will have to play against each other. Block them fools.
Then why are you playing anonymously in the first place?
Anonymous players can't be banned, and besides I don't think that anyone can assure that only one person will be using a single IP address, as it is possible that multiple people may share the same device, taking turns to play on lichess. Anyway, I am always against impoliteness and I understand your feelings :)
Sometimes it's hard to find opponent, but anonymous games are always on. I don't want to ruin my rating when I am playing distracted or something like that. I also like to play when I don't know my opponents rating or he doesn't know mine.

I don't have problem against players who are leaving once, but there are some people who picks my every game, resigns and leaves. Then I cannot simply play at all without changing time control, so he doesn't know who I am.
If i am not wrong someone gets banned from creating games in the lobby for a few minutes if he aborts three games in a row. Dont know if this also happens if he leaves games a few times in a row.
And what about that "The player has left the game." message box ? I believe it allows you to win by forfeit, right ?
like Pawn_Graber said, if they do leave you can choose a win or a draw. The ones you have to watch out for are the ones who let time go and lull the opponent into stepping away from their pc, only to make a move later and win on time or put the opponent under time pressure if they arrive later to find the game is still going. :P

I myself just play a game of Freecell on my second monitor if someone decides to go for tricks, keeping a loose eye on the chess game. ;}

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.