lichess.org
Donate

A data-driven, deep dive into Lichess Coaches

What an insightful post - didn't know there are such affordable coaches on Lichess!
This is cool.

Can you think up a way to have lichess collect data that would speak to the quality of the education a person receives from each coach?

It seems to me that a titled player charges more because they believe they are worth it. Somehow that Fide stamp of approval gets buyers into a frenzy. Then you have to ask the question: Why do you suppose the untitled guys charge so much? I, being one of them, believe the quality of my work is either among the best or maybe even the best in the business. I'd have to guess that the other few untitled coaches also believed something similar. Too bad there is no data here for that.
@DrHack said in #3:
> This is cool.
>
> Can you think up a way to have lichess collect data that would speak to the quality of the education a person receives from each coach?
>
> It seems to me that a titled player charges more because they believe they are worth it. Somehow that Fide stamp of approval gets buyers into a frenzy. Then you have to ask the question: Why do you suppose the untitled guys charge so much? I, being one of them, believe the quality of my work is either among the best or maybe even the best in the business. I'd have to guess that the other few untitled coaches also believed something similar. Too bad there is no data here for that.

When browsing the reviews for Lichess coaches I get the feeling a lot of them are friends/family/made accounts or even bots in some cases. All of the reviews are written in the same writing style and emphasize the same points usually.. It's just hard for me to take for real. I'm not saying all coaches do this by any means!
There are no longer any reviews to browse?! Which is good IMO. :) @diecast_illusion

It would have to be a stat(s) that is not user created or opinion driven. A coach could be very likeable and also very bad at their job to be honest or vice versa. The best professor I had in college was a complete dick; he threw a guy out of class and told him to drop on day 1! I'd rather see the popularity contest put to death and something actually helpful rise up. The only problem is.. I don't know how it could be done!

Stats that make sense to me are:
Longevity - the amount of time the student spends with the coach
Rating change of student over time - 3 months from coaching, 6 months from coaching or something like this.

There are surely other data points that would be helpful in deciding on a coach.
@DrHack said in #5:
> There are no longer any reviews to browse?! Which is good IMO. :) @diecast_illusion
>
> It would have to be a stat(s) that is not user created or opinion driven. A coach could be very likeable and also very bad at their job to be honest or vice versa. The best professor I had in college was a complete dick; he threw a guy out of class and told him to drop on day 1! I'd rather see the popularity contest put to death and something actually helpful rise up. The only problem is.. I don't know how it could be done!
>
> Stats that make sense to me are:
> Longevity - the amount of time the student spends with the coach
> Rating change of student over time - 3 months from coaching, 6 months from coaching or something like this.
>
> There are surely other data points that would be helpful in deciding on a coach.

Oops! I haven't looked/browsed the coaches section for a few months (I've been poor xD). I wonder if it was removed because the feature was clearly being abused by bots lol. Sorry for the outdated information! I really enjoyed this post