lichess.org
Donate

naming the opening (in a 960 game)

I wasn't sure to which forum I should post. I didn't want people to analyse this game beyond (1) identifying / characterizing the opening; (2) describing what lichess was doing accidentally or deliberately.

My regular chess partner, in our most recent game (lichess.org/qlxhcaal/black), has opened with g3. In "replay and analyse" mode, lichess tells me that this is the "Benko Opening". I looked up "Benko Opening" - apparently it enables fianchettoing the bishop. Now, in this 960 game, the bishop started out on h1 - perhaps pre-fianchettoed :-)

Has our game been accidentally appropriately named?

Are 960 openings (apart from those for the most common start position) named? If so, has lichess in a 960 context correctly named our game.

P.S. I'd like to thank Thibault for something both nice and tenuously related. However, as it might be unintentional, I don't want to name it :-)
I'm fairly sure the opening names are intended for regular chess and for 960 they are there because they happen to not have been disabled, and are usually essentially nonsense.

It can be interesting sometimes, though, to be able to look at the connections between regular chess opening theory and the decisions you've made in a chess960 game, I suppose.
Thanks for the information.

When I started playing 960, it was interesting to note just how much my friends and I did not grasp chess opening principles :-)

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.