lichess.org
Donate

Italian / Prussian / Traxler - Literature ?

Hi folks,

I am looking for recommendable and not too outdated books on the Prussian game with Polerio, Ulvestad, Fritz and Fegatello variants as well as the Traxler counterattack. The latter used to be played even in correspondence chess prior to the silicone monster area as far as I recall. Language of the books is rather secondary.

Not sure how importing a chessboard into this works, hence:

1.e4 e5
2.Nf3 Nc6
3. Bc4 Nf6
4. Ng5 and now d5 seems to be called Prussian game while Bc5 leads to the Traxler counterattack or gambit.

Grateful for any hints. Thank you and cheers

lichess.org/editor/r1bqkb1r/pppp1ppp/2n2n2/4p1N1/2B1P3/8/PPPP1PPP/RNBQK2R_w_KQkq_-

Honestly, just look at it with Stockfish or a comparable engine. It has the big advantage you can just try out stuff if you wonder why some move is not good or so.

Some specific recommendation if you like sharp variations: (with black)
1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Ng5 d5 5. exd5 Na5 6. Bb5+ c6 7. dxc6 bxc6 8. Bd3 Ng4! is a very interesting idea for black.
"The modern Two Knights" by  Erwin l'Ami is recent.
8 Bd3 is a side line, main is 8 Be2
"Prussian" refers to 4 d4 instead of 4 Ng5
Well thank you so far, Modern Two Knights sounds good, tho its a DVD which I cant watch in the bath tub ;-)

Lets c. Cheers M.
@tpr Yes, Be2 is the old main line, but Bd3 is the trendy move (or was, 5 years ago, dunno about now :D)
After Be2 black can just play the standard variation with h6, e4 etc and is fine.
There are some repertoire books for black, of course they go for 4.Ng5 d5, not for the Traxler.
It seems if anyone gives a repertoire for white, they go for 4.d3
I think there is a book that talks about some of those variations. Look for: Winning with the slow but venomous italian. If I'm not wrong, it talks about some of them. Also I think there is a book of Jan Pinski (I think that's the name) About the italian and the evans gambit. Maybe you would like the Max Lange or the Evans gambit. Also I think that is a italian chessbase by reinhold ripperger that maybe you should look up. Hope I helped
For the records, 4...d5 5.exd5 Na5 is the Morphy Variation. Critical lines after 6.Bb5+ c6 7.dxc6 bxc6 are 8.Bd3 Ng4!? (as @MoistvonLipwig already said), 8.Be2 h6 9.Nf3 and 8.Be2 h6 9.Nh3. Black gets a positional compensation comparable to the Marshall Gambit. Attackers probably prefer the black pieces, defenders prefer the white pieces, objectively it is even.
@PatzerGareBear13 because after Bd3 normally black plays h6 and the knight can go to e4 or h3, of course e4 is better and that's the reason of the Bd3, to support the knight because black has the Nf6 and to try to keep the knight in a "good square"

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.