lichess.org
Donate

Which opening should I play?

Hello everyone...I am in a dilemma as to which opening I should play.....I like the London system but only when I can generate an attack out of it...if a player stops the attack , I am more or less confused as to how to continue. On the other hand, I sometimes play e4 as my first move. I like the positions that arrive out of it.. but lose many times...and win many times as well...it's about50-50 ...my coach says that I should play d4..as he thinks that it will allow me to draw with 1500s (fide) and help me get a rating.Please advise me what to do. Thank you.
First of all, get rid of your coach. If he only want's you to play to improve your rating, he clearly doesn't understand chess. Chess is entertainment and should only be a struggle and some kind of war on the elite level. You just need to play what you like.

Try to play this system:
lichess.org/editor/rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/3P4/2PBPN2/PP1N1PPP/R1BQ1RK1_w_KQkq_-

Often times black has a pawn on d5, so you could break with e4 and get an kingside attack.

Also, if you like playing e4 as the first move, you should play e4. The results and rating doesn't matter. You'll improve a lot faster and a lot better if you play what you like. It shouldn't matter what you play, just try to have fun mate.
If your coaches ambition is for you to draw against 1500s something is very wrong. The goal should be for you to improve as a chess player and to encourage a love for the game.

To answer your question it doesn't matter what first move you make. Nf3, c4, d4, e4 are all perfectly acceptable. This is not where the focus should be. You should imo rather focus on middlegame plans, tactics and endgames.
If someone asks this question in forums he gets back a multimodal distribution from A00 up to E99 usually. Ev'ryone suggests his own pet lines.
A bit more constructive: "open" games are recommended for the rather inexperienced players because they often can be understood "move-by-move". Attack and defense, open lines, direct tactics. Closed games tend to be obscure and harder to comprehend for weaker players. Most trainers recommend to get started with 1. e4.
Openings don't really matter as lovlas mentioned. As long as you can get a comfortable middle game with a good plan or plans you're fine. People tend to place to much emphasis on openings and pet lines.
If you don't play the KG you don't know what fun chess is! ;}

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.