lichess.org
Donate

Losing chess motivation

I have endured the same experiences as you. Just take a break, then come back stronger than ever with an even clearer mind.
AP is right, take a break. Come back when you feel like you should be playing. Probably won't be too long. All the best
Chessatom:

It happens to all of us at sometime during our lives. AP and DP are right: take a break -listen to some music, go out with friends, go hiking, etc.

Best wishes
in short, just keep playing and just think about the next move. its what i do.
My advice would be: don't let negative feelings affect you too much!

For example, if you blunder (happens to all of us I think), don't beat yourself up to much. Rather change the mindset about making mistakes like thinking about what pieces do you blunder the most often. Or do you tend to miss knight forks etc... .
Once you see a pattern in your mistakes, you'll improve quickly!
If you are losing chess motivation do something else. If chess is in your heart you will come back to it. So i guess like others I am saying take a break :)
Check out these two games I played when I was a kid. (Both as Black.)

http://en.lichess.org/aVCLekiV
http://en.lichess.org/S4vKEzt7 (Dat help mate tho)

Trust me, I managed to work my way from there to where I am now.

If your feeling burnt out on chess, take a break for a week. Play videogames, read a book, go to a restaurant, anything. Come back with an eager mind.

Anything is possible if you work hard at it. I know it's super cliche and what not, but its completely true. Regarding your obvious blunders (dropping pieces etc), it's just because of carelessness/being too quick. Take your time. Look over every move if you have to. You can't improve as long as you make 1 move blunders. After you stop making blunders, trust me, its 100x easier to improve. Stop playing blitz/bullet, it's bad for improvement purposes. Other than that, I don't see anything else seriously wrong with your play. In the openings, play logical moves that adhere to basic opening principles and you should be fine (develop pieces, king safety etc). I wouldn't care about complex lines at your level.

Good luck with your chess!

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.