lichess.org
Donate

Computer analyses: Pawn-value for suggested lines?

The computer analysis is one of my favorite features. But sometimes it is really hard to see how much better the engine's suggestions really are. Hence I would suggest to show not only the "pawn-value" of the real moves, but the values for the final positions of the lines suggested by the engine, too.
The pawn value of the engine line should just be the evaluation of the position before you moved, right? Since the engine assumes best play from both sides, the pawn value shouldn't change during that line.
that's actually what the engine does :o
"+0.3" or whatever is what the engine thinks of the position after what it thinks the best play from both sides is, not before. that's how it's able to evaluate things
Weeks ago I found a couple KOTH games with the engine evaluation significantly *increasing* after the player's move (a negative centipawn loss for that move because the best move was better than expected). I'm still trying to debug that.

Separate topic, but I wish the analysis engine PV would print at the end of the game (when a player resigns or loses on time).

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.